When Should I Call a Cairo DUI Lawyer?If you have been arrested on suspicion of DUI in Cairo, you should contact an experienced lawyer as soon as possible so they can begin ensuring that your rights are protected during the investigation process as well as the criminal trial. Because those who are charged with DUI in Illinois have 45 days to challenge the charges, time is of the essence to avoid a license suspension that will result from failing to challenge the charge within 45 days.
Here is What You Can Expect After Being Charged with a DUI in Cairo, Illinois:According to the Illinois Secretary of State, Jesse White, “Illinois’ roadways continue to be among the safest in the nation due to our tough laws on drunk and distracted driving. Our state continues to receive national recognition for its prevention efforts.”
Illinois DUI LawsIn Illinois, drivers are considered to be driving under the influence if they have a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08 grams of alcohol per deciliter of blood. Additionally, drivers can be charged with DUI if they are suspected of driving under the influence of marijuana, methamphetamine, or other intoxicating drugs that have impaired their ability to operate the motor vehicle safely.
- If the driver has been stopped and ordered to perform field sobriety and chemical testing of blood, breath, or urine and the tests indicate a BAC that is over the legal level, or the driver refuses to submit to chemical tests, they will be issued a statutory summary suspension with a receipt that allows the driver 45 days to challenge the charge before the suspension becomes active.
- In order to challenge the summary suspension, you will be granted a judicial hearing within 30 days of when your challenge was made.
- Only 5 legal issues can be considered in the judicial hearing: whether the individual was arrested for DUI, whether there were reasonable grounds to believe at the time of the arrest that the person was in physical control of the vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, whether the driver refused to submit to chemical testing, whether — after submitting to chemical testing — the driver’s results showed impairment, and whether the driver was involved in a motor vehicle crash that resulted in personal injury or death to another person.
Cairo, Illinois DUI PenaltiesThe penalties for a DUI can vary greatly, depending on the circumstances of the situation that led to an arrest. Generally speaking, the following penalties apply:
- 1st offense: A Class A misdemeanor, suspension of vehicle registration, and suspension of driver’s license for one year, and up to $2,500 in fines. Higher impairment levels, accidents involving injury or death, or DUIs occurring with a minor under 16 in transport will result in stiffer penalties.
- 2nd conviction: Class A misdemeanor, mandatory incarceration of 5 days or 240 hours of useful public service, revocation of driving privileges for up to five years, and a fine of up to $2,500.
- Third and subsequent convictions are considered aggravated DUI, a felony, that is punishable by a revocation of driving privileges for a minimum of ten years, suspension of vehicle registration, imprisonment of three to seven years, and fines of up to $25,000.
Reinstatement of Driving Privileges After a Cairo DUIAt the end of your statutory suspension period, you can regain your driving privileges by:
- Ensuring that all other suspensions and revocations on your driving record are closed.
- Paying a $250 reinstatement fee to the Secretary of State. Repeat offenders must pay a fee of $500.
- Having a clear driving record.
- Submitting to alcohol and drug evaluations and education classes.
- Appearing before a hearing officer in order to demonstrate that public safety will not be endangered by the reinstatement of driving privileges.
- Filing proof of financial responsibility (SR22) and paying a $500 reinstatement fee.
TOP-RATED CAIRO, ILLINOIS DUI LAWYERChoosing a Cairo DUI lawyer to fight for your rights is an important decision and can have a lasting impact on your life. The Law Office of Jason B Going is home to an experienced and proven Cairo DUI defense team who will give you the best chance at a favorable outcome in your case. If you have been charged with DUI or any other criminal charges in Cairo, we can help get you the best possible results. Contact us today for a free consultation and get started right away building your defense.
No matter what life throws your way, get GOING.
DUI charges are very serious, and attempting to fight them on your own is never a good idea. Cairo DUI lawyers are highly qualified and experienced attorneys who will be able to review your case and determine the best way to fight back against your charges. DUI laws are strict, and penalties can be severe. An Cairo DUI lawyer will give you the best chance at a favorable outcome.